Tuesday, February 17, 2015

As Dr. King Once Told Me...

Of all the famous people that I met during my long career in broadcasting, I suppose the most famous was Dr. Martin Luther King.

As you've no doubt noticed by now, I like to brag about all the celebrities I've met over the years, even though I'm fully aware that you and I both know that had nothing to do with my importance, but only a perk of the particular business (TV) I was in. Heck, if Lee Harvey Oswald had gotten the job that I had in Washington instead of me, he would be the one bragging.

Nevertheless, that's not going to stop me.


The most famous one was Dr. Martin Luther King.  That was in May of 1964.  I was the announcer
for the CBS program FACE THE NATION with Paul Niven and Dr. King was the guest for that show. As usual, after the broadcast the staff and the guest gathered for a short social, usually coffee or a couple of shooters, and doughnuts.

That's when I had the opportunity to meet the man.

And this is where the story gets real interesting.......

Or should.

However, I just shook his hand, and said, "honored to meet you"....and he kinda mumbled something back....like "you too."

It was a simple gentlemanly reaction.

I wish this story had a more dramatic ending...something I could tell my grandchildren about...or write a story about, like "I remember the time that the great Dr. Martin Luther King told me ".....wear your golosshes if it looks like rain..."  or something like that.

But, "you too" just doesn't cut it.

I did notice one thing though.  He was a lot shorter than his pictures showed.
5'6"......5' 7" at most.

-Ed



No comments:

Post a Comment